Pursuant to sector part II section, 4 section 4 (4) – a – l and 9 (1) a – b and 9 (4) a-h of Tharaka Nithi County Alcoholic drinks Control Act, 2015 the County Government of Tharaka Nithi is in the process of establishing the liquor Licensing committee where main objective is to provide for the implementation of the said Act including control of alcohol consumption and distribution, promotion and outdoor advertisement among others responsibilities. The County Government therefore invites applications from suitably qualified residents of the area of jurisdiction for membership to County Liquor Licensing Committee and also membership to Sub County Liquor Licensing Committee.
VACANCIES – MEMBERSHIP TO COUNTY AND SUB COUNTY LIQUOR LICENSING COMMITTEE
Three Vacancies are available in each Sub county on the following considerations
- Must be a resident of the county
- Must be willing to be vetted through a competitive process in accordance with the prescribed rules,
- one of whom shall be a youth provided that not more than two persons shall be of the same gender
The minimum qualification of the members
- Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education
- A professional and able to demonstrate absence of breach of the relevant professional code of conduct.
The member shall serve on part-time basis and shall sit quarterly each year.
The remuneration of the members of the committee shall be by the way of sitting allowance determined by the County Public Service Board in consultation with the Executive Committee member.
A member of the committee shall hold office for a term of three years.
FUNCTIONS OF THE LIQUOR LICENSING COMMITTEE
- Carry out public education on alcoholic drinks control in the county directly and in collaboration with other public or private bodies and institutions;
- Facilitate citizen participation in matters related to alcoholic drinks control in accordance to framework for citizen participation established under the County Governments Act, the Urban Areas and Cities Act or any other relevant written law;
- Develop in collaboration with other county and national government departments strategies and plans for implementing this Act and control of alcohol abuse and any other relevant national legislation and coordinate and support their implementation;
- Advise the CEC member generally on the exercise of his powers and performance of his functions under this Act, and in particular on county policy and laws to be adopted in regard to the production, manufacture, sale and consumption of alcoholic drinks;
- In collaboration with other relevant county departments, prepare and submit an alcoholic drinks status report bi-annually in the prescribed manner to the CEC member which shall be transmitted to the County Cabinet and the county assembly;
- Recommend to the CEC member and participate in the formulation of laws and regulations related to alcoholic drinks;
- Monitoring and evaluating the implementation of this Act and advising the executive member on the necessary measures to be adopted;
- Carry out such other roles necessary for the implementation of the objects and purpose of this Act and perform such other functions as may, from time to time, be assigned by the executive member.
- Collaborate with ward administrators and village administrators and councils appointed under the County Governments Act, 2012 and the officers in charge of coordination of national government functions in the wards and villages;
- Collaborate with similar committees in other counties for effective implementation of this Act.
Hand written applications should be addressed to:
The Chief Officer
Ministry of Trade, Industry and Co-operative Development,
P.O. Box 10 – 60406,
and delivered to County Headquarters – Kathwana clearly marked on the top of the envelope – “APPLICATION FOR MEMBERSHIP TO ALCOHOLIC CONTROL COMMITTEE’’