Agriculture, Water, Irrigation, Livestock & Fisheries
The County Sector of Agriculture comprises of Crop Production, Livestock Development; Veterinary Services & Fisheries Development.
- Efficiency and Responsiveness
- Gender Equity
Agriculture Sector Vision and Mission
- Vision: to attain sustainable food security and incomes for the people of Tharaka Nithi County.
- Mission: provision of high quality, innovative and commercial agricultural services.
Agriculture Sector Goals
- To increase crop production and productivity by providing high quality, innovative and competitive crop and crops related services for food and nutrition security and increase in household incomes.
- To support transformation of livestock production from subsistence into commercially oriented enterprises for sustainable food and nutrition security in the county.
- To safeguard animal health and welfare, increase animal production and productivity and promote trade in animals and animal products for sustainable food security, food safety and economic prosperity.
- Increased and sustainable fish production for subsistence and commercial utilization.
Agriculture Sector Development Needs, Priorities and Strategies
|Quality of farm inputs||Cereal, horticulture, livestock, fisheries||Subsidy, input quality surveillance, capacity building|
|Post harvest losses||Milk, Fish, cereals and legumes||Construction of community grain stores, milk coolants, cold room for fish|
|Market access||Livestock, milk, fish, horticulture, sorghum, green grams||Contract farming, value adding, holdings grounds, market yards, processing and factory|
|Production and productivity||Major crop, livestock and fishery enterprises||High quality seed, breeds and fingerlings, demonstrations and capacity building|
|Technology and innovation||Land preparation, horticulture, value adding, extension services and mechanization||Mechanization, ICT and green house|
- Feasibility study on coffee revitalization, banana value chain improvement and Traditional High Value Crops
- Supported farmers with farm inputs in March-April-May 2018 season [30 tons of cereals and pulses seed; 3,922 (25kg) bags of fertilizer, 2,390 (50kg) bags of agricultural lime and 1,000 litres of agro-chemical]
- Development of an Agricultural Training Centre at Itugururu
- Construction of Mukothima Grain Store
- Rehabilitation of 9 tea buying centers